Monday 10 March 2014

Satellite Switch by the BBC Leaves Expats in Uproar!



I’ve lived as an expat for the best part of 8 years now, and I have to say I’m glad I made the transition. However, this blog isn’t about what I think of expat life, it’s about how I was outraged at the recent murmurings concerning the BBC and how they have switched to a new satellite feed which has been widely publicised as having a smaller “footprint”.

OK, “outraged” may be a bit of an over reaction but I can’t help but think I’m being punished because I don’t live in the UK anymore. After all, it was my country of birth and I’m still interested to know what’s going on and one way to do that is to watch the local BBC news. 

Presently, I live in Southern Spain but other expats like me who live in different countries around Europe and even the world have also been affected by this move. The one question that springs to mind is why? And, it’s hard not to feel like I’m being singled out because I live somewhere other than the UK.

The bosses at the BBC will tell you different. They have stated this smaller “footprint” was needed so the BBC signal could be strengthened in order to give better coverage over certain areas in the UK. However, it doesn’t help that Mr. Pryde (Director of BBC Distribution) practically said expats don’t really have the right to watch their channels!

Of course, as someone who has lived and travelled throughout Europe I have learned that “where the is a will, there is a way” and many companies have already stated the way to regain access to the BBC news, the channels my kids love and the soaps my Mum loves to watch (yes, practically the whole family has left the UK) is to buy a bigger satellite dish.

Not to be one to take the first piece of advice that comes my way (no matter how desperate I am), I decided to do some digging. What I found was a piece of technology called IPTV. If you use this technology, it will restore all the BBC feeds you’ve lost and the best bit is you don’t need to buy a new satellite dish.
I found this link  http://www.ntv.mx?r=df which was surprisingly informative without being too technical. 

Unfortunately, you mention the phrases “Astra1” or “Astra2” and my brain shuts down! I have been using this system for a short time, but I have to say it has served me well so far. Oh, and I’ve also discovered I have a ton more movies at my disposal as well!

If you’re really stuck when it comes to understanding how satellite feeds work, and you need some more information (which I did in the beginning), take a look here http://www.theithelper.com/contact-us.aspx.They will be able to answer any questions, give advice on the best software and/or hardware you need it and they really helped my out in my “hour of need”.

Suffice to say, normality has returned to not just my household but a good deal of my expat neighbours homes as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment